Looking for new strategies to enable your business to cut costs and increase supply chain efficiency? Want to boost your reputation as an environmentally conscious company at the same time? Want to reduce product claims and minimize product handling ? Perceive long-term risk with driver shortage, historically up trending fuel prices, and implementation of new government policies that restrict hours of service on the road resulting in tighter truck capacity?
We would strongly recommend considering Intermodal as a long-term solution to your sustainability targets.
Every transport mode has advantages and disadvantages. Road transport is unbeatable in the last mile due to its flexibility and availability. Rail and shipping achieve considerable savings in transport over long distances. Intermodal transportation combines the advantages of each mode and increases the overall efficiency of transport.
At BPSCS, our focus is on the Over the Road / Rail combination for long haul freight. Our Logistics division is contracted with key Rail partners to deliver solutions across North American points at extremely competitive pricing.
Here are the major benefits of Intermodal Rail Transportation Solutions that we urge you to consider:
- Competitive pricing: Our customers enjoy lower rates, more predictable pricing, and the flexibility of loading and unloading goods in a dropped trailer environment, which reduces handling costs. we have delivered about 15% reduction on Line Haul rates and been able to keep rate flat year round.
- Container Utilization: Enhanced weight of 44 tonnes on road pre- and on- carriage. We have been delivering roughly 4% more freight per move.
- Greener Option: Our customers can reduce by almost 4 x , their carbon footprint by going intermodal, because rail transportation only emits approximately 5.4 pounds of carbon dioxide per 100 ton-miles, whereas trucks emit approximately 19.8 pounds.
- Reliability & Capacity . Customers have more access to equipment and fixed & standardized transit schedules. Intermodal transit times can compare more favourably to OTR mode on a growing number of corridors.
- Decongestion: A single intermodal train can take as many as 280 trucks off of the highways thereby reducing highway congestion, and fewer accidents.
- Safety: Driver fatigue is often cited as one of the primary reasons for large truck accidents, and by using rail for the long haul portion of a shipment, truck drivers are used for shorter, regional moves which reduces the probability of an accident.